Scorecards: When is enough enough?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scorecards: When is enough enough?

This weekend at the VIC State target our scoring team were having constant problems with scorecards not being completed. On Saturday they would chase down the offending parties and ask them to fix. The response was often hostile, which is odd given as they were being done a favour.
    Sunday morning the DOS informed everyone that they MUST fill their cards in fully. Yet the distances cards were often incomplete. Even by 50m cards were handed in without full names put on the card.

By this time the team had had enough and wanted to simply bin those cards. The head judge took the cards out.

Now we ran the Jr Nationals in 2007 and had this problem.

9 years on and people are still not filling in their cards and, worse, being arrogant about it.
    Small mistakes I don't mind, but neglect and then acting like they are entitled to do what they like is another.

When will we as a sport simply throw them out? Surely people should know by now.
    Urban Archery
    Carbon Express
    Beiter
    Truball/Axcel
    Redback Strings

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water
    After enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water

I know the Feeling. I must say though the juniors at this years nationals were excellent. Ive had problems when ive asked both names be put on someones scorecard in open division and is this was because i should have known who they were. I am all for tearing up scorecards if they are not filled in correctly and then maybe next time we might get a correct score card handed in

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
      This weekend at the VIC State target our scoring team were having constant problems with scorecards not being completed. On Saturday they would chase down the offending parties and ask them to fix. The response was often hostile, which is odd given as they were being done a favour.
      Sunday morning the DOS informed everyone that they MUST fill their cards in fully. Yet the distances cards were often incomplete. Even by 50m cards were handed in without full names put on the card.

By this time the team had had enough and wanted to simply bin those cards. The head judge took the cards out.

Now we ran the Jr Nationals in 2007 and had this problem.

9 years on and people are still not filling in their cards and, worse, being arrogant about it.
      Small mistakes I don't mind, but neglect and then acting like they are entitled to do what they like is another.

When will we as a sport simply throw them out? Surely people should know by now.
      It's simple the DOS make an announcement at the start of each day of shooting about fully filling in the scorecards. If people still chose to ignore i, there score cards are disregarded from the results.
      It is not the job of judges and organizers to baby fully grown adults.

Comment

I think that score cards should be handed in with a $5 note (or $2 coin) ... if it's correct you get your $5 immediately back... if not... you get your card back to fix, but loose the $5. If you don't want to fix it... your card goes in the bin, but club still gets to keep the $5.

Announce this as part of the entrance fee.
        $5... goes to the club organisers/volunteers.
        www.youtube.com/user/wataganarchers

Comment

If people become hostile maybe it should be noted down and the next time they try to enter an event they do not get in.

Comment

A line added to the sign in sheet:

I acknowledge that my scores will not count unless my score card is completely filled out.
            Status is not defined by the amount of gear in your signature.
            Performance cannot be purchased.

"The Internet offers everything - except quality control" - K. Anders Ericsson.

Comment

People should/do know but only ever get threats that are rarely acted on. Allowing an archer to correct a scorecard after it has been handed in simply compounds the problem.

Until AA announces that an incomplete scorecard WILL not (not MAY not) be added to the results and insists ALL event organisers comply, things will never change.

Not sure about the current system but AA used to have a grouchy Recorder who disallowed record and/or award claims if the scorecard was incomplete, even if the archer had won a gold medal with said scorecard.
              Ultra Black (tm) High Performance Armguard Elastic Staff Non-Shooter

We are all Atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further. Richard Dawkins

Comment

Funny you say that.
                I added this line to my registration system this morning.

"By ticking this box I understand that the scorecards submitted for this tournament are my responsibility and should they be incorrect DVA will not submit the cards and the scores will not be counted. "

Originally posted by Andy! View Post
                A line added to the sign in sheet:

I acknowledge that my scores will not count unless my score card is completely filled out.
                Urban Archery
                Carbon Express
                Beiter
                Truball/Axcel
                Redback Strings

Comment

Originally posted by Clare Barnes View Post
                  Not sure about the current system but AA used to have a grouchy Recorder who disallowed record and/or award claims if the scorecard was incomplete, even if the archer had won a gold medal with said scorecard.
                  I heard she was SUCH a bitch!
                  Status is not defined by the amount of gear in your signature.
                  Performance cannot be purchased.

"The Internet offers everything - except quality control" - K. Anders Ericsson.

Comment

Guys, This is already in the rules. Organisers have the right not to accept score sheets if not competed correctly.
                    When I was recorder for Archery NSW and running NSW Tournaments there were quite a few score sheets put in the rubbish bin.
                    When Archers come up asking why their scores were not on the results sheet they were told. Your score sheet was not completed correctly and was not accepted.
                    Only happened a few times, until people realised we were serious.
                    Until organisers start to do this the problem will continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiona View Post
                      Guys, This is already in the rules. Organisers have the right not to accept score sheets if not competed correctly.
                      When I was recorder for Archery NSW and running NSW Tournaments there were quite a few score sheets put in the rubbish bin.
                      When Archers come up asking why their scores were not on the results sheet they were told. Your score sheet was not completed correctly and was not accepted.
                      Only happened a few times, until people realised we were serious.
                      Until organisers start to do this the problem will continue.
                      Yep!! But I still think it should be that organisers are NOT PERMITTED to accept incomplete scorecards, rather than just having the right to refuse them.
                      Ultra Black (tm) High Performance Armguard Elastic Staff Non-Shooter

We are all Atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further. Richard Dawkins

Comment

There were constant announcements on the second day about scorecards not being filled in correctly. By the third distance on the second day, I was stuffed. I signed my side of it and forgot to witness the other shooters. All the rest was filled in correctly though.

Hypothetically, why should the scorecard be discarded and those shooters penalised because I had a momentary lapse? I also think we put a slight hole in one of ours because it was wet/rainy and the pen wouldn't work properly on wet paper. I get that it's the responsibility of the archer to make sure everything is correct especially writing your full name on the sheet, not just your first name but human nature dictates a different tune.

Genuine mistakes do happen. Should the archer be penalised for it? Just asking...
                        Nothing's forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten - Robin of Sherwood.

sigpic

Reverse Sponsor of the Richmond Football Club.

Comment

Originally posted by tigergirl View Post
                          Genuine mistakes do happen. Should the archer be penalised for it? Just asking...
                          Ask Reo Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by tigergirl View Post
                            why should the scorecard be discarded and those shooters penalised because I had a momentary lapse?
                            If they can't spare an extra half a second to make sure their scorecard is filled in correctly before being handed in then bad luck.

Comment

And why should the score teams have to chase down 10-15 people everyday to hold their hands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Urban Archery
                              Carbon Express
                              Beiter
                              Truball/Axcel
                              Redback Strings

Comment

Working...
                              X