No announcement yet.

Scorecards: When is enough enough?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive got no problem with helping newbies but usually if they are a newbie they ask for help or ask someone to check before filling it in, also i have never seen a newbie actually score on a target with out getting help. It is not the newbies that are the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Young1 View Post
      Surely theres a spot in Archers Dairy or AA database for official comments. Have it marked 1 return per season ( Or less ). That way it can be checked if required, but I'm sure like most incidents there are probably regulars.
      My concern if it was done as a blanket rule, a new archer first competition, nervous, wasn't really sure if they were going to be competitive or think themselves foolish for giving it a shot, writes down the wrong score or forgets to fill in the 10's column. Score sheet goes up and their name isn't on it....Because you can't fill out a score card. They leave despondent with a fair chance that might not return to the tournament scene. We need to be careful when making rules that we; and it already been mentioned remember the human element. Some don't learn the hard way, that doesn't mean their not capable of learning.
      As it is, it's already a blanket rule. Apparently Tournament Committees haven't elected to enforce it.

The problem with looking at possible scenarios that might happen is that we have no evidence that they ever do.

We have continuous evidence that people not filling out score cards correctly IS a problem and always has been.

Either we fix what we can or we let it continue to avoid something that might never be happening.

This is not a logical consideration.

The logical consideration is realising that you're going to cop heat that isn't your fault regardless of what you do, so you shoot the gorilla because it doesn't have a mother that can start a lawsuit.
      Status is not defined by the amount of gear in your signature.
      Performance cannot be purchased.

"The Internet offers everything - except quality control" - K. Anders Ericsson.

Comment

Skitso i was not given the chanc to sign my card
        I copped that wothout a complaint but the other people on my target got an automatic leg up past my good score at the end of two days of shooting
        They hand in my cards and get an advantage but i got punished
        That is not very fair either
        The other guy left the park to get a physio session
        My fault for not kicking up s stink the first evening
        The people told me the next morning in a very concerned and polite way
        Could not complain
        The rules are the rules
        No one has successfully walked off with my score sheet ever since

Comment

"The problem with looking at possible scenarios that might happen is that we have no evidence that they ever do. "

There is plenty of evidence to suggest that if somebody has a negative experience they won't want to repeat that experience (in this case go to an archery tournament), it IS real. - its the same theory you are applying with DQ them straight up and they won't do it again. Either they won't muck up the score card or won't go to another tournament. Either way you win you won't get incomplete score cards.
          I have personally had to return an incomplete scorecard because the archer was essentially to shy to speak up, so we can't assume that they will ask. Understanding that new archers weren't the focus of this thread we still need to acknowledge that they exist and are the most likely to unintentionally make an error. Perhaps score cards could indicate new archers or be marked at bow checks or registration. Or be placed with experienced archers on the line, that way both parties have a vested interested to make sure the cards are right. The new archer can learn and you can be certain the experienced archer would double check.

Comment

So rather than having to chase people up after the competition, we now have to do it before?

This is why there are club shoots. They're to train people how to use the scoresheets.
            There is no excuse for turning up to a shoot without the knowledge on how to fill a scorecard in.

The templates are available on the AA website.

It even says down the bottom "All unshaded areas must be completed prior to submitting scorecard or it will be rejected."

Anyone who is attending a competition, beginner or not has doubtlessly had the chance to use a scoresheet before.

The point about this entire thread is how much do we put up with.
            I don't see that going out of our way to get someone to fill a piece of paper in is helping anyone who demonstrates that they don't think it's important.

These don't exactly require genius levels of understanding to fill out. They just require caring about. If you can't fill the card out, which is a requirement of competing in archery competitions, you just shouldn't be competing. If it's good enough to get people canned at top level events, it's good enough for any level competition.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scorecard.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	238549

Comment

I never bother checking the score sheets. All my arrows are let off with the intention of being a 10, so I avoid the disappointment 😁

Sent from my Ultraphone 5000 using Tapatalk

Comment

Question...

On the second day of the State Target, they changed the way the scoring was done. One set was changed to 3 archers on the same page for the same distance, whilst the other was the standard scorecard for one archer with all distances.

In my scenario, the distance sheet wasn't signed/witnessed. So... if you are going to bin that sheet but the main scorecard was filled out correctly at the end, what happens then, assuming you go down the road of binning incomplete scorecards?
                Nothing's forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten - Robin of Sherwood.

sigpic

Reverse Sponsor of the Richmond Football Club.

Comment

I'll actually go out of my way to help, assist, double check, anyone who needs it (archery or otherwise), even if they don't get it the first, second third fourth ...twentieth time. The only thing expectation for me is that they try.

Comment

Originally posted by Young1 View Post
                    I'll actually go out of my way to help, assist, double check, anyone who needs it (archery or otherwise), even if they don't get it the first, second third fourth ...twentieth time. The only thing expectation for me is that they try.
                    That's generally my attitude as well. Particularly with beginners.
                    It's the expectation of trying part. The standard that you accept is the level where there is no incentive to improve.

Letting people get away with incorrectly filled out cards at any time at all is why we have people who are NOT beginners, going to state level competitions and causing issues for the organisers.

Comment

I usually cop the job of being one of the 2 per target scorers at club shoots to save time, because it's amazing how many simply can't add up on paper.
                      & I understand that we need to show some tolerance, which is not one one of my better virtues, but it's amazing how so many can get it so wrong, even with double scoring.
                      Style before fashion

Comment

Working...
                      X