Making bow strings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making bow strings

I’d like to know who or how many here make there own Compound bow strings and cables.
    The type of string used or how the strings on eBay shape up against BCY x type sting.

I make my own. honestly there are enough reputable builders around that I don't see the value in taking a chance with an eBay unknown.
    sigpic
    Viper Strings

Comment

Originally posted by scott p View Post
      I make my own. honestly there are enough reputable builders around that I don't see the value in taking a chance with an eBay unknown.
      Absolutely !
      Considering the frequency strings an individual archer requires, it simply isn't worth the stuffing about.
      Purchasing the materials, jig etc etc and proper tension stretching the string to prevent creep and movement; why risk it ?
      Style before fashion

Comment

Well it is satisfying making your own strings, but as Ozzy stated it is a lot of messing around if your just making a set or two every couple of years.

Comment

If you have a local string builder, ask them if they can show you how they make your string. If they have time they may even let you build yours under their guidance. Don't have to worry about the expense of the equipment setup, but you also get the satisfaction of knowing you made it yourself.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.
            The reason I ask is because there are no local builder here. They all reside 250 km away and they need my bow to get the specs or so they say. Its just a thought as yet. Id make my own jig as ive seen one on youtube.

Comment

this is a huge thread but there is a lot of good information in there. https://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2062893

also, read this through several times. https://www.dropbox.com/s/89qeyq9qkr...3.27.ppsx?dl=0

my personal preference is for a 3-post jig for serving loops but the choice is yours, tag served loops work fine and make for a simpler jig.

if you want to practice on some cheap materials first, get a roll of dacron and some Brownell nylon serving and offer to make a few longbow strings, you will be very popular.
              sigpic
              Viper Strings

Comment

Working...
              X