No announcement yet.

KSL fletches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If only someone had done research that indicates that having no angle on fletches is a bad idea.
    Status is not defined by the amount of gear in your signature.
    Performance cannot be purchased.

"The Internet offers everything - except quality control" - K. Anders Ericsson.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftnut View Post
      I've had a conversation with the people who are making the vanes (K & K Archery ) and they said that they will be having them at the retailers soon ( Aust.) They will have them at the World Archery Championships in October and for the Lefties like me they will be made in L/H.
      Dumb two Q's of the day

Does it matter what the direction of arrow rotation is? And, is there a preferred direction of arrow rotation for a left handed or right handed archer?

Comment

Some people say that a certain direction of fletch gives them more clearance. If it does, it would be a perfectly legitimate reason to go one way or another.

People who assure you that they shoot more accurately with one direction of rotation over another are the type of people who like to look for evidence to prove what they already believe to be true.
        It's human nature to do so. Particularly the more clueless you are about why there is a thing called "The scientific method".

Comment

My reason for angling the fletches for clockwise rotation is its easier to see the positioning of the fletch on the shaft in the jig this way. Glad to see this is of no advantage or disadvantage.

Comment

Just arrived today can't wait to use them
            Recurve's Rule !

Comment

How will you assess if they're any better or worse than what you are currently using?

Comment

I'll leave that for the pro's and when give a pack to a friend of mine
                Recurve's Rule !

Comment

Received ours this week. And have to say in my opinion that purely from a design point of view, this product is brilliant. The spin wing has flaws that make them difficult to apply and maintain. Jet vanes have found some really quite elegant solutions to these flaws. Most of them you dont really appreciate until you open a packet and apply them to your arrows.

Starting with the tapes. Each tape has a little tab at one end that allows you to lift it off the backing easily. And more importantly once one side is stuck to the arrow, the same tab allows you to peel the top layer easily without scratching with finger nails or a blade to try and lift the edge. Secondly, the material used as a top layer is rigid. This makes it much easier to lay a perfect straight tape against the line you have drawn on the arrow without the tape bending and flexing as you do it. And lastly, the adhesive used is brilliant. It is much stickier than other products. But is still easy enough to remove. These are all simple things, but make the job easier and more importantly, accurately repeatable.

Next applying the vanes. Each vane has a foot on it that is curved to the shape of the shaft. This has several advantages. Firstly it makes it a lot more difficult to apply crooked as the curve of the foot follows the arrow and naturally wants to go on straight. Next, the foot completely covers the tape and doesnt leave a sticky edge that has your arrows sticking together in the quiver. And lastly, the entire edge of the foot forms to the shape of the arrow giving a larger contact area. Which means you dont end up with the edge lifting off the arrow after you have applied it as it tends to do when you apply a spin wing , where the curve of the arrow and the shape of the vane are opposing which means the edge almost always lifts. Aerodynamically a much cleaner solution. Once again, easily, accurately repeatable application.

The vanes have a little tab at either end that allows you to put the end tapes on without deflecting the vane as is possible with spin wings. I appreciate that with spin wings applying the tapes can help to “shape” the curve if you are very good applying them. But would challenge the average person to produce an identical result every time. And again, tapes can move and change the shape over time. The Jet vane’s shape is set, and the tabs are convenient and dont affect the shape when taped. The product also comes with heatshrink loops instead of tapes. You will love or hate them. I liked them once I worked out that you need a really hot hair dryer or heat gun to shrink them properly so they remain tight. But the finished job is smooth, tight and exactly the same on each arrow.

The shape of the vane itself is very interesting. Just about every other vane relies on the curve set in the material during manufacturing process to create some “twist” to spin the arrow. After prolonged exposure to weather, being shot, arrow contact and rattling around in an arrow tube, this shape will change. The thinner the material the more susceptible it is. Your spin wing will not be the same a month after you install it even if it survived that long physically undamaged. Meaning its neccesary to refresh them whether damaged or not. The jet vane has a step in it that the marketing hyperbole claims gives it aerodynamic advantages. I have no idea if it does. But i actually think the step has another more important function. Because the step is not parallel to the edge of the vane, what it does it gives each vane an identical offset and “twist”. And the z shape also gives it structural strength that means it will remain exactly the same (yet to be determined by use over time, but I will be surprised if it does not).

Do they give you better groups? I dont have a definitive opinion yet. The initial impression shooting them side by side with Spider Vanes over a week is that they group tighter and have less wind drift. Too early to say, the difference is not so great that you would jump to an immediate conclusion. I think that The marketing for the product has leveraged the designers reputation and made some claims about aerodynamics that I am not qualified to critique. Its a shame as there are actually some really good design features, although I would accept these are harder to promote to the average punter on the back of a box. I also suspect that some of the meaning is lost in translation, the copy obviously written by someone who’s English is a second language.

All in all I would recommend that they are worth trying even if just for the step forward in design and convenience. Then shoot them and decide for yourself if they improve your scores.

Comment

Sounds like their single biggest advantage is their resistance to being put on inconsistently. That alone should convince anyone who knows that consistency = accuracy.

So, this is now the problem as an afterthought.
                    How do you prove that something is a massive advance in aerodynamics when you've actually made a consistency innovation?
                    Last edited by Andy!; 3rd March 2018, 09:51 AM.

Comment

As mentioned, we have only just received them. They are easier to apply consistently. I make no claim about aerodynamics, can only say that in early testing they show promise. They are no worse. Possibly better grouping. Too early to say time will tell.

If they are even equal in performance to other products, but easier to apply consistently and last longer, do I consider them a better product? Yes I do. The jury is still out, can only pass on impressions from actually using them.

Comment

+1 for ease of application.

Comment

Working...
                        X