Eastern ACG Arrow Fault

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern ACG Arrow Fault

About a year ago bought some of the new Eastern ACG arrows to use for target with my recurve. Have a set of ACC that are truly ancient, so I thought it was a nor brainer in terms of quality of manufacture. Well after using them for only 4 months, they began to de-laminate at the nock end. I had not cut this end, it came as is from the manufacturer. Disappointing thing was got no support from either the local supplier or Eastern. Plus the local suppliers comments were intriguing: "This is common with all Easton Arrows including the $500dz X10 shafts." Well, may not be getting Eastern in future if that's the case, can't afford it. The picture shows the effect. Interested if anyone else has had the same experience.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150906_105821 - Copy - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	247543

Interesting.
    I wouldn't actually say that it's common.
    I've seen arrows split, but not like that.
    Status is not defined by the amount of gear in your signature.
    Performance cannot be purchased.

"The Internet offers everything - except quality control" - K. Anders Ericsson.

Comment

Hmm. I friend of mine has, well had the same problem from both and the front of the shaft. It could be due to over heating the shaft while making the arrow?

Comment

Considering the problem is at the nock end , heat is not the cause.
        Haven't seen this with Easton shafts before, however , the retailer surely would be your first step .
        Style before fashion

Comment

That's a lame excuse from the local supplier it's a very lazy response I have never had that happen with X10's and I have owned a few sets. Who was the supplier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Local Supplier was Archery Supplies Australia, who I have dealt with over quite a few years but they really dropped the ball.

Comment

Write them a letter with pics

Send it registered mail
              Send a copy to the manufacturer but at least write the letter in memo style clearly stating that copies are being sent to other parties

Ask them to refer it to the manufacturer and ask for a response from both
              Offer them a sample to test
              Advise them they have 21 days to acknowledge and own the problem but advise them your next stop will be with consumer affairs folk if the explanation /action is not reasonable

Comment

I would think a PM to GT, with pictures would be worth a try....
                cheers
                Fritz

Comment

Here is a close up of the nock ends of the arrows that have split. It looks like the carbon wrap extends beyond the aluminium core of the arrows. Thus any pressure from the nock would be exerted on the carbon alone, thus explaining the failure. It looks like the problem was exacerbated by the factory “de-burring” of the core, which reduced its ability to take the force of the nock. The $64,000 question of cause is why this ended up being this way. I suspect the trimming of the arrow was done soon after the arrow was carbon wrapped, then probably heat cured. This would have expanded the aluminium core, arrow was trimmed, and when cold, the aluminium core contracted to be shorted than the wrap. Would be interested in your view. I would now suggest, after bitter experience that everyone lightly sand down even the uncut arrow ends of Carbon/Al arrows to ensure the force is taken equally on both.Click image for larger version

Name:	PA270972.jpg
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	237948

Comment

Not sure I agree with your analysis of heating and shrinking process being the cause… BUT… if I'd bought those arrows new like that from an Easton dealer 4 months ago… I'd be demanding (correct word to use) a new set.

I am pretty sure you'd be covered by the consumer laws as those arrows have certainly not met with their usage expectations or life expectancy.

A few mm trimmed square off the back with an arrow saw would have stopped the problem. Who knew… well we all do now.,, thanks… I'l be checking arrows in a future and trimming a bit off the tail end to make sure they are cut properly square.

Just another reason aluminium cored arrows are crap. I don't have this problem with my Carbon Express arrows queue the Easton fanboys
                    www.youtube.com/user/wataganarchers

Comment

Originally posted by Brenton View Post
                      Just another reason aluminium cored arrows are crap. I don't have this problem with my Carbon Express arrows queue the Easton fanboys
                      "crap" ?
                      Easton arrows with aluminium cores have been around for some years now, couldn't even imagine the numbers sold & successfully shot with numerous tournament wins , & very few problems reported .

Yes, perhaps I am an Easton "fanboi".
                      With good reason, after having carbon splinters surgically removed from splitting & exploding issues over my many years in archery with all carbon shafts (not Carbon Express, admittedly) , so let's use caution about attacking Easton technology & manufacture.
                      Style before fashion

Comment

That looks like someone has reamed out the end of the shaft. Easton would not have done that.
                        It would equally be a problem on an all-carbon shaft.
                        I have never seen new Easton shafts with ends like that (and I have seen a great number of sets).
                        Scout strings and stabilisers
                        Accurate Sights
                        Titan Scopes

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA270972.jpg
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	237948

That is truly an excellent photo, but no manufacturer does the chamfering like that and I'm also pretty confident that no arrow manufacturing process uses that sequence.

If those were sold to you as "new" then I would be be asking some serious questions from your supplier.

Essentially:

1. This is an incredibly unusual failure.
                          2. The arrows are not in the same state as they normally are from Easton.
                          3. The modification has quite clearly been the issue.

Conclusion:

You've been sold secondhand arrows.
                          Status is not defined by the amount of gear in your signature.
                          Performance cannot be purchased.

"The Internet offers everything - except quality control" - K. Anders Ericsson.

Comment

I agree with Andy. Not an Easton problem.
                            Scout strings and stabilisers
                            Accurate Sights
                            Titan Scopes

Comment

Originally posted by James Park View Post
                              I agree with Andy. Not an Easton problem.
                              For what it's worth, we couldn't do a deburr like that if we wanted to.- it's impossible for our equipment to do that.

Please talk with your dealer.

Comment

Working...
                              X