No announcement yet.

Eastern ACG Arrow Fault

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they had an inherent defect that was not brought to my attention when I purchased them and they were sold as new, you bet I would

Comment

Originally posted by Highstrung1 View Post
      If they had an inherent defect that was not brought to my attention when I purchased them and they were sold as new, you bet I would
      Now you're making an assumption.
      You're assuming there is an adherent defect, yet everyone on here is saying "that's odd" (so we could assume, it's not an adherent defect)
      Some have made an assumption that may be used. That's also a terrible assumption, it's just as likely the owner received them in a factory sealed package.

We've also had an employee of the manufacturer, someone familiar with the process, and dealers say that's not how a defect would likely occur.

It IS consistent with a rear impact however. Not saying that IS the cause. Not saying it's absolutely NOT a defect. However if your car is on fire, there's a jerry can of petrol sitting next to it with a trail of petrol leading to the car, it MAY have been a mechanical fault, but it doesn't LOOK like one.

It's quite possible that the arrow had been hit, wasn't obvious to the owner who replaces the nock and kept shooting it, which then caused the shaft to delaminate.
      I don't know about anyone else, but I could not tell you which arrows I've replaced nocks on, especially after 4 months of usage. (which could be a 500 shots a week, we don't know)

The sad part about this thread is that it's very typical internet.

someone says they have been mistreated, everyone jumps on and bashes the non-represented party, without actually looking at it and saying "uummm, are you really sure?"

If Easton replaces this set I'm cashing in one about 10 dozen arrows personally.
      Urban Archery
      Carbon Express
      Beiter
      Truball/Axcel
      Redback Strings

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water
      After enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water

Comment

Actually I'm not bashing Easton at all. You sold us our first set of ACCs and are still using ACEs. Have found them to be a terrific arrow, standing up to punishment very well considering how light they are. Of the current dozen, only one smashed into 3 pieces on a fence post..won't be claiming that! And can also confirm that they are all cut clean and straight at the nock end as they came from the factory. Would not consider buying any other brand as they have been great!

I'm only saying that in this particular instance the arrows have a problem. The carbon should not protrude beyond the aluminium. The buyer is saying he did not modify them. So as far as he is concerned he did receive them with an inherent defect (whether from the factory or by someone else before he received them), and on the balance of probabilities that is what has caused the damage. And on that basis they should be replaced. And the seller and Easton should haggle over who wears the cost and leave the buyer out of it.

Of course he may not be telling the truth. I'm just saying in my opinion his complaint sounds legit. Hey it's a forum right? ��

Comment

Looks semi similar to mine - which was impacted. The nock opened but stayed together which probably didn't help in retaining the shaft. Don't shoot ACG's now and gave what I had left to someone else. They're shooting different arrows now too, so we could have a look to see if the back of the carbon and aluminium are flush.

RE the spelling - I was writing a report the other week talking about the opposite direction to western and automatically typed "easton"...

Chris
          Attached Files
          "I used to read, but it's faster to make up stuff" - Wally (Dilbert)

Comment

Originally posted by Bottom Dweller View Post
            They do sell bushings for G nocks.
            Is it possible that the use of the G Nock without a bushing has deformed the aluminium and pushed it further into the carbon?
            they do, but only for larger diameter shafts to reduce the ID to fit the nock shank. for ACGs the shanks are a direct fit into the shaft. I know, it's the only time I ever voluntarily used g-nocks instead of pins. regretted it on the second end.

here's the shaft (it's my cam lean checker). the carbon is flush with the alloy tube, no chamfer. anything that doesn't look dead square is just lighting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ACG.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	237951
            sigpic
            Viper Strings

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
              How does it confirm anything?
              EDIT...
              Because I think I can see the same deburring in the OP's used arrows and the new set you showed in the photo (is there a chamfer in the inside or is that the light???) … TO ME… that indicated that's how they came from the manufacture. How the carbon is longer than the aluminium is a bit of a mystery.

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
              It actually fits all of the above. Remember these arrows were used for 4 months. They met their described usage.
              4 months would not satisfy my expectations for new arrows. (of course there always extenuating circumstances) Like hitting something hard (nail in the tyre) or shooting all day every day (tyres on a taxi)

The simple fix is… cut a few mm off the end of the arrows so there is a flush surface… I have never done this to new arrows… from now on I will, or wold a least look if I needed to (I think I would do it to the arrows you pictured too Marcus.)
              Last edited by Brenton; 29th October 2015, 05:45 PM.
              www.youtube.com/user/wataganarchers

Comment

I mentioned earlier that the aluminium core is very valuable in providing circumferential strength - it is a long way better than just relying on epoxy for that. The aluminium helps a lot in avoiding the arrow splitting due to circumferential forces - which is why you do not need to use collars on X10s or Protours.
                However, we also need to think about the longitudinal strength.
                For small diameter arrows the carbon fibres run longitudinally and hence provide immense strength - far greater than aluminium.
                Hence, the key is not what the aluminium is doing but is the carbon giving a flat surface for the nock.
                That is, it hardly matters where the aluminium is longitudinally and whether or not the aluminium is tapered or not - but it sure would matter if the carbon was tapered.
                Scout strings and stabilisers
                Accurate Sights
                Titan Scopes

Comment

For the record, I just used Eastern G nocks in the arrows, not pins. The other theory is that they were de-burred before the aluminium was applied. Any thoughts GT. I'll have a look at the full set and see if they are all like this, or only the ones that have split.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffP View Post
                    For the record, I just used Eastern G nocks in the arrows, not pins. The other theory is that they were de-burred before the aluminium was applied. Any thoughts GT. I'll have a look at the full set and see if they are all like this, or only the ones that have split.
                    My only thought is, please take this matter up with your dealer. The excessive chamfer shown in your photos can not have been applied at the factory level.

Comment

Marcus,

Yes a rear impact, may cause something like that. I've never seen this type of splitting before, though. And it occurred in 5 out of the 12 shafts. I can remember replacing one G nock having been hit, but only one. I've found in the past that G nocks proves very good protection from rear strikes. My previous ACCs were never damaged after a rear strike.

Comment

Just an update, Easton technical have responded to the photos and requested I send the arrows back to Archery Supplies Australia, so Easton can investigate further. Will keep you informed.

Comment

Anyone remember this thread.... pitty the pictures have disappeared over time.
                          Check out 1:59 in this video.... what's happening to these arrows is exactly what was said was happening... EASTON reams the ends out ... and it's done ever so precisely by some bloke who shoves them onto the reamer by hand.

Lesson #1.... trim the ends of your shafts before building.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 1.09.09 AM.png Views:	2 Size:	14.1 KB ID:	309389

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2jSNvqiokM
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Brenton; 28th July 2018, 02:38 AM.
                          www.youtube.com/user/wataganarchers

Comment

come on Brenton, it's a light touch on a conical deburring tool. no doubt by an employee who has done so multiple tens of thousands of times, in any other topic he would be lauded as an artisan.
                            sigpic
                            Viper Strings

Comment

I don’t understand why I can’t view these type of pictures. Is it because I’m using an iPad?
                              Admin.

Comment

yay for Safari. try going into the Safari settings in the control panel and clear the cookies/cache/history. also make sure Javascript is turned on (under the advanced menu). do a full reboot of the iPad afterwards.
                                sigpic
                                Viper Strings

Comment

Working...
                                X