X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marcus
    started a topic Review: Prime STX 36

Review: Prime STX 36

For the last few months now I've been shooting a Prime STX 36 and thought I would give my views on this bow.
    Finish
    When I first saw these bows I was a bit underwhelmed with the design. It’s simple looking, not like the Hoyt HyperEdge or Mathews TRG. However in the hand I really like the design. The edges are smooth and everything is minimal. The pocket design is very straight forward but does the job. The edges nicely rounded. The top of the cage always grabs me too.

I have the all black one. While I wanted the all white, this is the one I ended up with, and that’s fine by me. I’m coming to the realization that I prefer black bows. It’s a flat black but smooth. Not anodized (I assume paint or a film dip) but seems strong.

No machine marks can be seen.
    The White is my favourite. The white limbs are fantastic!
    The blue (pictured below), red and purple are all really striking. Again seem to be a film dip.

The limb finish seems durable as well with no marks as yet from my bow stand.

Riser Design
    Last year I shot the Mathews Chill X and then Hoyt Pro Edge Elite. These were certainly two of my favourite bows. After a few months of shooting some other bows, which performed well, that I never got comfortable with I decided I wanted a 35-26” short riser bow again. The STX 36 geometry reminded me of my Chill X in how it felt in the hand but with a more traditional limb angle. Straight away it felt right.
    The shoot through is nice and wide so I can use 4” feathers on my X-Jammers no problem. It’s also got a nice shape around the grip which doesn’t dig into my hand.
    It has a low stabilizer mount which the bow seems to like.
    The hole for the bow sling is large enough to fit my sling through (my Victory wasn’t big enough)
    The Flexible cable guard is spot on. Doesn’t get in the way of the sight picture at all.

Grip
    The grip is an integrated grip pretty standard these days. Its nicely rounded and very comfortable. Quite similar to the older Hoyt grips.

Cam Design
    I’m going to say this could be the best cam I have used to work on.
    The Binary design keeps the cams in time without any hassles. Its just always right.
    The cable stops slide into position. So I got my draw length and holding weight right with one and then in the draw board moved the other into place. Perfect.
    Because of the sliding cable stops I have the holding weight spot on for what I like. The wall is solid but still a little give to keep the aim on target. (too hard a wall and it moves for me)
    Also has an optional limb stop for those that like that feel.
    Being a Prime the cams have their twin track system. The tracks are part of the same cam so they do not work independently of each other. What this does is keeps the string and cables all pulling down the same line. Combined with the flex guard and the shoot through riser there is no feeling of bow twist at all.

Draw
    Love it. No humps or drops. Just easy to draw without any sudden difficult spots.

Adjustment
    The Cam system is interesting in that you have 3 cam sizes and then modules.
    The modules are the same regardless of cam size (yay!) and if you change the cam size you also change the limb rockers and the string harness. This means that the strings and limbs stay the same (yay!)
    You will need a press to change the modules however and if you change modules the draw stops must be moved to have an effect.

Release
    The bow is quiet to shoot. I have no limb dampers and no string stop on mine and it’s quiet to shoot. The bow doesn’t have a violent kick. Not parallel limb dead, there is still some feedback, but it’s not an pleasant.

Speed
    Not a speed burner, but it’s not meant to be. With my 350 grain Maxima Blu RZ’s we chronoed it at 280fps (58lb 29”). So fast enough.

Tuning
    Have not done much to it. I set the nocking point square and have done a walk-back for centreshot. Nothing else has been required. It’s shooting my 400 spine Maxima and CXL’s great and my 300 spine X-Jammers as well. Everything seems to work from this bow.

Stabilizers
    I feel like I’m still getting this right. At the moment am using
    Front: 33” Doinker with 4oz (was 8oz but I dropped a weight by accident and it seems to be shooting better)
    Back: Low mounted 15” Doinker with 1” quick disconnect and 12oz
    Was using twice that weight until a few weeks ago but dropped it back due to lack of shooting.

General thoughts
    I wish I had this bow last year when I was shooting a lot more. After November I have not been shooting mush so my shooting is a bit down lately which makes it a little hard to do the bow justice. However in that time I have shot some of my highest scores with it in only 8 weeks of having the bow.
    I shot a 298 24x Vegas with it in league a few weeks ago using CXL’s (8.8mm arrows) and a 298 22x with X-Jammers in league also. I’ve had some bad rounds too but that’s normal for me.
    I’m really liking this bow. I’ve been quite unsettled with my gear for a while but have been liking this setup a lot. It’s kept me from going back to my Chill X which has been a personal favorite for years

• Marcus
    replied
    One of our shop shooters has been swapping between the Hybrid and the Air. He prefers the Hybrid but has been using the Air while recovering from a shoulder injury.
    He loves them. Has shot quite a few 300 Aust 1 rounds in club league and some 540+ IFAA rounds.

Leave a comment:

• wormo
    replied
    Anybody have any comments on the Centergy Hybrid?

Leave a comment:

• Marcus
    replied
    No. The other side has the Circlip, the blue bit is a handle for easy extraction.

Leave a comment:

• scott p
    replied
    Originally posted by johnandersonm777 View Post
    I just love it
    thank you for the lovely pic.

what are the little blue button axle retainers? do they snap into a circlip groove?

Leave a comment:

• Steve.rsa
    replied
    Thanks Marcus.

Leave a comment:

• Marcus
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve.rsa View Post
    Any reason why?
    More to go wrong. I always take them off my competition bows. Serve no practical purpose.

Leave a comment:

• johnandersonm777
    replied
    I just love it

Click image for larger version

Name:	archery----1211_zpsoxbyhwvi.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	238602

Leave a comment:

• Steve.rsa
    replied
    Originally posted by Marcus View Post
    I don't use it so no idea.
    Any reason why?

Leave a comment:

• Marcus
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve.rsa View Post
    Is the string stop buffer supposed to be glued on or interference fit? Mine is very loose. Perhaps something with give like sikaflex?
    I don't use it so no idea.

Leave a comment:

• Marcus
    replied
    Originally posted by ironarcher View Post
    [ATTACH]18254[/ATTACH]

99% sure this was Marcus's first ever try with a Prime......100% sure that DL is spot on for him LOL
    I think I was only at half-draw then too!

Leave a comment:

• scott p
    replied
    Originally posted by Matrix Makeover View Post
    I think voting for "Brexit" might be a more topical analogy?
    the only people I know regretting Brexit are the losers.

Leave a comment:

• Steve.rsa
    replied
    Blue tak it is then.😀

Leave a comment:

• Matrix Makeover
    replied
    Originally posted by scott p View Post
    whatever you use, I suggest something a less permanent than sikaflex. that stuff generates more regrets afterwards than getting a skinful at a gay karaoke bar.
    I think voting for "Brexit" might be a more topical analogy?

Leave a comment:

• scott p
    replied
    whatever you use, I suggest something less permanent than sikaflex. that stuff generates more regrets afterwards than getting a skinful at a gay karaoke bar.
    Last edited by scott p; 30th June 2016, 08:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X