Clear All

• Archery Mental Mastery?

Has anyone checked this out?
    http://www.archerymentalmastery.com

and on Fbook
    https://www.facebook.com/ArcheryMentalMastery/

Curious what you think of the content.
    Thanks

I have had a look at it a while ago. I always take a big step backwards from anything that mentions or states that it engages the principles of Neuro Linguistic Programming.

I also encourage people to follow the Lanny Basham philosophies of mental mastery. Troy (his son) has an archery based presentation which is an excellent foundation and an introductory presentation called "What every archer should know about the mental game" When they talk about successful archers making use of their stuff, they never mention them by name.

On a totally different and unrelated note, did you ever notice that Brady Ellison says that he has an incredibly strong mental game?

How about that?
    Status is not defined by the amount of gear in your signature.
    Performance cannot be purchased.

"The Internet offers everything - except quality control" - K. Anders Ericsson.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy! View Post
      On a totally different and unrelated note, did you ever notice that Brady Ellison says that he has an incredibly strong mental game?

How about that?
      Well he doesn't have a bad arrow that won't stay on his rest
      "I used to read, but it's faster to make up stuff" - Wally (Dilbert)

Comment

Originally posted by Andy! View Post

How about that?
        No but then I've never had a conversation with him
        Urban Archery
        Carbon Express
        Beiter
        Truball/Axcel
        Redback Strings

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water
        After enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water

Comment

I have lately, but not about that.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_2077553...s-looking-good

http://www.3wiresports.com/2011/10/1...s-no-1-archer/

Belay that.
          They're openly stating he's a client now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PccfvMXNNc

Comment

OK, Andy - I'll bite
            Why did you hijack this thread to talk about Brady?

Comment

I'm not talking about Brady so much as pointing out that he thinks that a strong mental game is important.
              A lot of archers are slowly getting to realise that a disciplined mental approach is a significant asset. It's a bit hopeful to train yourself to shoot accurately with a consistent form and expect to always do well without a consistent mental resilience.
              I think everyone knows of situations where people just crumble performance-wise.

The mental management systems developed by Lanny Bassham revolve around the principle of being only able to concentrate one thing at a time (because, that's a fact) and establishing a pattern of consistent thought that is beneficial to one's performance, rather than an undisciplined mind distracted by various random thoughts leading up to the shot.

All of the methods discussed in his books and presentations are supporting layered methods of achieving this level of discipline and uniquely tailor around the person who is trying to develop rigid thinking patterns around their high performance archery. It goes through these layers logically, building broad foundations of understanding.

Because one thing doesn't work the same way for everyone, the instructions can't be precise enough for everyone.

This is where some people prefer to be hand held and others can deal with broad instructions.

Some people can deal with instructions such as " Ascertain the brightest part of the sky before dawn and sail at it."
              Other people require "At 4.47 am precisely, sail a course of 87.5 degrees."

This is why some people are overwhelmingly confused by Lanny's book, because they expect to be explicitly instructed how to think.
              It is not based on an instant fix. It's based on building a custom process by the user. Lanny tells you all the things to think about, but ultimately, the way you do it, is based upon your personal preferences.

You can give people all the same equipment and teach them to paint, but what they ultimately produce will never be identical, even if they are painting the same subject.

When I first encounted Neuro-Linguistic Programming, I was a bit surprised.
              I wondered where it came from and why it wasn't a main stream thing.

Every now and then, it pops up in my stream of reading materials and it comes down to being a bit of a placebo method of achieving things.
              Placebo treatments are awesome because the people that it works for are absolutely convinced that it worked for them and so is amazing.
              People it doesn't work for just dismiss it as another thing that didn't work.

NLP has a huge reliance on "hoping that this method will work for you and that you ignore the people it doesn't" so while I am aware of the people who promote it, I'm also aware of it being disregarded by the professional majority.

This is expressed by someone buying the course mentioned, and feeling that it worked wonders for them and telling everyone about it.
              (I have seen people on other forums saying that NLP has instantly cured their target panic.)

People rarely talk about things that didn't work for them, so the truth about effectiveness becomes distorted.

People are also not interested in the truth and working to find it out. This is largely why the world is the way it is today. I know of people who are archers that are totally convinced that vapour trails are chemtrails used for environmental engineering.

Comment

Yes...

https://youtu.be/DF8VACQUNgo
                All bleeding stops... eventually.

Comment

Working...
                X