This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning the pro edge elite by justin

Over the past few months i have had many people as me as to how i have tuned my pro edge and to how i managed to limit the bobbing up and down while aiming. So instead of explaining it over and over, here it is.

I first start with the nocking point, ( see photos bellow ) i set the tee square to the bottom of the plunger hole in the riser and then tie the top nocking point on at the lowest mark, this puts it about 1/16 bellow center, i found that i get the best nock travel this way and this does help alot with the bobbing while aiming, and i still have excellent arrow flight. You can see that i can also set up my arrow rest at the same time sop i know it will be set to the same height as to where I like my arrow to sit at full draw.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20150303_092554.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	246345

Name:	20150303_092546.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	246346

AS you can see i have a draw board and this helps a lot when tuning. Once the nocking point and arrow rest is sorted i like a bit of holding weight so I have put the smaller spiral draw stop on which will put the cams out of time and you will see this if you have a draw board ( to put the cams back in time it is about 2 turns out of your control cable).

Name:	20150303_092904.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	246347

Once this is done i then look at the top cam lean if there is any I like to have my top can in line with my string, i know some people like to have it cross over at the nocking point but to ME i like it in line.

This now brings us to the top cam and how to tune it, Do we leave in time with the bottom cam or do we have in leading the bottom cam or over rotated ( so hitting first).

For about 3 months i played with different ways of tuning the top cam i had it in time with the bottom cam, i had it hitting way in front of the bottom cam. But i found that with the cams in time i could not control the bobbing up and down, so i went to the next extreme and un twist the control cable by about 5 twists. Apart from increasing the holding weight by a pound or so it still didn't hold the way I liked it, So i put the cams back in time and worked slowly backing out the control cable to see how the bow would react. So I found that this is the best position for me and maybe you as well. Once the cams are in time it is only 1.5 to 2 twist out of the control cable and that will bring you what you see in the next photo. about a cable width in front.

Name:	20150303_093259.jpg
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	246348

As for stabilizer set up that is a personal thing and my set up may not work for everyone but i will share it anyway. I shoot 7 ounces out the front at 31 inches and 12 ounces out the back/side on 10 inches.But as i said this is a personal thing to how YOU want the bow to feel.

Name:	20150303_093522.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	246350

Name:	20150303_093541.jpg
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	246349

So hopefully this helps a few people out and this also will work on other bows as well, i have also set up my podium x 37 the same way and it shoots like a dream as well,

Name:	20150303_094135.jpg
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	246351 this is from 30 yards

As i have said, what i have put down in this thread is what i found to work the best for me, i have not tried to shoot this bow with a short stabilizer yet to see how i could better tune it for the pin shooters out here. but i may give it a go later in the year.

I will keep an eye on this thread and answer any more questions and if you are in brisbane and need help with it let me know and i can have a look for you..

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Justin Olexienko
    PROUDLY SHOOTS FOR:

PATS ARCHERY
    HOYT
    SCOUT BOWSTRINGS
    EASTON

Is there any disadvantage in running the arrow low?
    www.youtube.com/user/wataganarchers

Comment

From what i have seen... No. Arrow flight is still good. I have not found any negatives from running it like this.
      PROUDLY SHOOTS FOR:

PATS ARCHERY
      HOYT
      SCOUT BOWSTRINGS
      EASTON

Comment

Great article. Though now I'm considering messing with my setup.

Comment

With your nock in that position.. and your arrow rest as shown... it looks to me like you are getting a dead flat (perpendicular to string) arrow at best... or even slightly nock low/point high arrow (not perpendicular)... are you getting random kicks of the rest (I know blades don't kick much)
          Have you paper tuned? What was the result?
          Last edited by Brenton; 3rd March 2015, 02:27 PM.

Comment

No kicks off the rest arrow flight from what i can see is perfect. I have not paper tuned as i dont believe in it. But i will shoot one through and see what happens.
            PROUDLY SHOOTS FOR:

PATS ARCHERY
            HOYT
            SCOUT BOWSTRINGS
            EASTON

Comment

here you go brenton one protour one shot. there is the slightest tear left but i can deal with that..

Name:	20150303_150018.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	237360
              PROUDLY SHOOTS FOR:

PATS ARCHERY
              HOYT
              SCOUT BOWSTRINGS
              EASTON

Comment

Great write up Justin. As you mentioned a straight top cam, I would expect a left tear. I think paper tuning is a great tool, followed by group tuning. I found with some pre-lean i could clean up the left tear and with 90 degree nock height, I achieved about 1 cm high tear, great groups, but noticed the vertical bobbing. I played with stabilisers and found a low vbar to help heaps. Thanks for sharing your tips.

Comment

I might be seeing the tear wrong but isn't that a right tear and nock low?

Comment

Yep sorry tear right but not nock low..

Another reason why i don't paper tune is. I fired 3 different sets of arrows through paper today and got 3 different results. But when i have a pass through on on targets at 10 yards it is a perfect hole. This is why i do not believe in paper tuning..
                    Last edited by JustinO; 3rd March 2015, 09:48 PM.
                    PROUDLY SHOOTS FOR:

PATS ARCHERY
                    HOYT
                    SCOUT BOWSTRINGS
                    EASTON

Comment

In your pictures.. your nock on the string is about an arrow diameter lower than the berger hole, but where your rest is would have the arrows passing through the berger hole. The setup appears to be nock low by about 1 arrow diameter. I run mine nock high by about 1/2 arrow diameter (1/8 inch).

I like the idea of setting the nock low and then setting the arrow lower than the berger hole at the rest… but with your setup I'd be worried my arrows are punching into the back of my blade. Which is what your tear seems to indicate and why paper tuning can be informative.

I use this device to see exactly where my arrows are in relation to the berger hole...
                      http://www.archery-forum.com/showthr...ion&highlight=

This is mainly because I shoot a flipable rest that I also invented. I spend much of my practise time making sure that out 30m my 9.3mm (vx23) arrows hit exactly where my 5.5mm (nano pro) arrows do with the same sight settings.

Disclaimer… you shoot better than me

Comment

There is not contact on the rest, if you need i will post another pic of where my arrow is sitting to show that it runs through the berger hole not lower than it. Maybe try it and see what happens.
                        PROUDLY SHOOTS FOR:

PATS ARCHERY
                        HOYT
                        SCOUT BOWSTRINGS
                        EASTON

Comment

Originally posted by violator View Post
                          There is not contact on the rest, if you need i will post another pic of where my arrow is sitting to show that it runs through the berger hole not lower than it. Maybe try it and see what happens.
                          Hi Justin,

Thanks for sharing your setup. I've just got a Pro Edge and have been worried by the bobbing up and down and how to solve it. If you could post a picure of your rest set up I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,
                          Yvonne.
                          Losing an illusion makes you wiser than finding a truth. Ludwig Borne

Comment

Is your tiller even with this setup?

Comment

Yes tiler is still even.

Yvonne. My rest set up as in where my rest and arrow is in comparison to the berger hole?
                              PROUDLY SHOOTS FOR:

PATS ARCHERY
                              HOYT
                              SCOUT BOWSTRINGS
                              EASTON

Comment

Working...
                              X