X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wormo View Post
    just wondering, do all Carbon arrows have lateral fibres? Or
    do some have a diagonal layers?
    Has anyone tried Aluminium arrows to see if the same rotation happens. ( Would aluminium be too heavy?)
    Look at post number #54 re alloy arrows.

Comment

Originally posted by whoknows View Post

Look at post number #54 re alloy arrows.
      Well! I rest my case. It’s the arrow that induces the twisting affect.
      If the fibres are layered diagonally in the making of a Carbon arrow, then the force( in my opinion) on release would make the arrow twist in the opposite direction to these fibres
      thats my two bobs worth..

Comment

Continuing to be a topic of club conversation.
        All I can say is, no extra effort, I'll be fletching my Victory VAP Elite carbons anti-clockwise next time. Why not ?
        Peace of mind & confidence. Eliminates another excuse ?

Style before fashion

Comment

In my testing I did get some movement on the alloys. About one hour on the clock. (anti-clockwise) while the Nano Pros were 6 hours, Maximas about 3 hours.
          It certainly seems to vary with arrow construction.
          Urban Archery
          Carbon Express
          Beiter
          Truball/Axcel
          Redback Strings

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water
          After enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water

Comment

Originally posted by wormo View Post
            just wondering, do all Carbon arrows have lateral fibres? Or
            do some have a diagonal layers?
            Has anyone tried Aluminium arrows to see if the same rotation happens. ( Would aluminium be too heavy?)
            Very few carbon arrows have anything other than longitudinal fibers. They provide no strength in any meaningful force direction experienced by the arrow, so would be a complete waste of time.

I wouldn't rest a case based on one single bit of information, considered in isolation and based on sketchy information.
            Status is not defined by the amount of gear in your signature.
            Performance cannot be purchased.

"The Internet offers everything - except quality control" - K. Anders Ericsson.

Comment

I wouldn't rest a case based on one single bit of information, considered in isolation and based on sketchy information.[/QUOTE]

I meant that “That was the last I would comment on the subject” as I have no further to add.
              I will how ever continue reading with interest.

Comment

If someone felt like building a string that could be twisted one way, have the arrow direction checked, then be twisted the other way the same number of turns, then have arrow rotation checked, that would go a long way towards working out the direction relationship.
                You'd want to have the center section removed and reserved each time, or be made just big enough to hold the nocking point located.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy! View Post

Very few carbon arrows have anything other than longitudinal fibers. They provide no strength in any meaningful force direction experienced by the arrow, so would be a complete waste of time.

I wouldn't rest a case based on one single bit of information, considered in isolation and based on sketchy information.
                  This is the inside layer of a C1 with the longitudinal fibers stripped away. Looks like a diagonal wrap (at least at the pointy end)

Click image for larger version

Name:	8935A75E-06BA-4160-8C3D-A2A88DB8C675.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	307318

Comment

That's why I'm saying "very few" rather than none. Without a central core to prevent against splitting, a binder would be highly useful.

Comment

Most carbon arrows are a weave these days rather than longitudinal fibres.
                      Urban Archery
                      Carbon Express
                      Beiter
                      Truball/Axcel
                      Redback Strings

Comment

Originally posted by Andy!
                        If someone felt like building a string that could be twisted one way, have the arrow direction checked, then be twisted the other way the same number of turns, then have arrow rotation checked, that would go a long way towards working out the direction relationship.
                        You'd want to have the center section removed and reserved each time, or be made just big enough to hold the nocking point located.
                        Perhaps the direction of the serving reversed as well, on top of string twist direction. The experiment just doubled in size I realise, but since that is the part in contact with the arrow, it’s effect can not be discounted?

Comment

Originally posted by Phil 24 View Post
                          Perhaps the direction of the serving reversed as well, on top of string twist direction. The experiment just doubled in size I realise, but since that is the part in contact with the arrow, it’s effect can not be discounted?
                          The whole" the direction of the string twist is the cause" thing I 'm not buying for a number of reasons
                          a) Its inconsistent. Some will claim it and others claim it doesn't work.
                          b) People have tested with different strings but got the same result.
                          c) the footage doesn't seem to show it (but that's minor)
                          d) Different arrows shot from the same bow have different results. This indicates its an arrow issue rather than a bow produced one.
                          e) It's very much "my buddy makes strings and he said its the twist direction" as proof. Which is fine, but prove it.
                          Urban Archery
                          Carbon Express
                          Beiter
                          Truball/Axcel
                          Redback Strings

Comment

Yep. The more that people post about it, the more evidence there is that nobody is bothering to investigate any of the variables with any type of scientific rigour.
                            Of the three, there is the arrow, the string and the bow.
                            Each of which needs to be varied and the effect measured.
                            Once the variable which causes the direction change is isolated, it needs to be able to predictably change direction and then,
                            it needs to be shown that it does the same thing on a totally new and different set of three.

Until that happens, it's just a bunch of spurious observations.

Comment

^^^^ What they said...By all means theorise but do your own testing and post the results.

Comment

Could a twist in the d loop at anchor cock the string enough to give the arrow a little help to start turning?
                                Last edited by xracer; 10th March 2018, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X