Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim, Have you done a nock travel test on a Hoyts spiral cam .5.
    I've always set these cams up like a twin cam, i.e. I bottom the top cam out when the lower cam is fully rotated,in doing this I've noticed that the timing marks are not even on both cams. 7 out of 8 of these bows I have set up, came with the top cam 1/8 to 1/4 under rotated.
    Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Originally posted by wareagle
      Jim, Have you done a nock travel test on a Hoyts spiral cam .5.
      I have not measured the nock travel over the full draw length as yet (but would like to).
      What I have measured on a large number of these bows is the nock travel around full draw, where it has a quite significant impact on the bow's accuracy if it is not correct. For the large majority of those I have measured I have found the timing to be in error, with significant vertical nock travel.
      My conclusion is that very definitely these bows need this adjustment to be made, and that it should be checked regularly.
      Scout strings and stabilisers
      Accurate Sights
      Titan Scopes

Comment

So having said all that Jim, would you class the new Matthews Apex as too long being a single cam bow? (42 1/4" ATA)

I mean too long for me? (I shoot with a 31" draw)

What's the advantage to target shooters with these longer ATA bows?
        Oceanic Archery and Outdoors
        B2 Bowstrings

Comment

I don't see any advantage in very long single cam bows. The disadvantage is that they will be slower.
          "Must have long axle-to-axle" is applying "twin cam thinking" where it does matter. However the reasons you would do so for a twin cam are not the case for a single cam.
          Accurate Sights
          Titan Scopes

Comment

What about a longer ATA that retains speed??

The Apex is 42 14", 8' BH and still punching them out at 310fps.

Does this make it a better proposition if you get the longer ATA and retain speed?
            Oceanic Archery and Outdoors
            B2 Bowstrings

Comment

Originally posted by Brad
              What about a longer ATA that retains speed??

The Apex is 42 14", 8' BH and still punching them out at 310fps.

Does this make it a better proposition if you get the longer ATA and retain speed?
              I have proof that ATA within these comparisons has absolutely nothing to do with speed if the brace heights are identical
              I believe bow length is a personal comfort thing & personally like a bow about 40" due to the ideal string angle & peep placement for me at full draw
              Style before fashion

Comment

make this a sticky

Comment

So with my 29" draw my 38" ATA with 7.5"BH, this bow would be about right for me then.
                  Due to lack of funds I am stuck with my 2002 hoyt magnatec, and am having trouble getting the timing right on the cams as there are no timing markes on them. How can I get around this?????

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by StevenB
                    make this a sticky
                    Marcus or James,

I agree with Steven. This should be made a "sticky". Very well researched and reported by you Jim. Thanks,

Brian
                    Always look on the bright side of life.

Comment

Originally posted by Notquiterhood
                      and am having trouble getting the timing right on the cams as there are no timing markes on them. How can I get around this?????
                      Mick
                      I would not trust timing marks in any case (they are only approximate). What you nee to do is to measure the vertical nock travel around full draw and adjust the bow so that it is zero. Then the timing will be perfect.
                      Accurate Sights
                      Titan Scopes

Comment

Thanks James will give that a go.

Mick

Comment

I have read this thread with interest. What puzzles me is this: exactly HOW does one go about measuring vertical nock travel near full draw? How can I (without lab equipment, hooter shooter, etc) measure this - as I cannot adjust to make it zero without measuring?

Thanks!

Comment

You need a draw board

It's not a very high tech piece of equipment - you can simulate one by having a friend help you draw your bow flat on a bench and plotting the nock travel with a pen, or you can make a draw board with some timber, a few bolts and a boat winch.

Tiger Brand Coffee is a real treat. Even tigers prefer a cup of it to real meat!

Comment

Hi all

I think this is an awesome thread, but I am about to purchase my first bow, after using club gear for 6 months. I only shoot target and am 5 foot 6 with about 28 inch draw lenth and am looking for a good bow with appropriate axle length and brace heigt, so any suggestions. The local gurus suggest something Hoyt in 40-50 pound range since I am 54 years young and bows perfom best at the upper end of their poundage. ATA needs to be bigger than 37 and brace height which I have just googled more than 6 inches

Assistance much appreciated

Comment

Hi Jim, this is my first post ever (its Tori from way back!) I love this thread and couldn't agree more with what you are saying. Being a short arse, I just liked the look and feel of short bows, also felt the tighter string angle must get more force behind the arrow (not sure if thats really true?) What i really agree with is the snappy crisp feel a short bow gives, I tried a few 'long' bows and they felt like shooting a wet noodle to me. Going to have a go at archery again after 14 yr layoff, and finding this forum invaluable to get up to speed with equipment changes and tuning, Marcus should be very proud of this forum. Just itching to shoot one of these parallel limb beasts with massive binary cams & string stops!

Comment

Working...
                                X