Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breathing

Yeah, we all breath.

What's this thing called forceless breathing and the theory that the heart doesn't need to beat at all (as in, the blood flows by themselves).

I do understand the merit behind this method for the sport, but I learned that holding my breath is the wrong approach to it as my heart rate jumps to near panic levels.

Anyone got better ways of "oxygenation"?
    "Power draws the bow; timing releases the arrow." - Sun Tzu

Breathing - Don't even think about it, the quickest way to induce target panic with recurve is trying to control (some sort) of a faux breathing cycle.

Normal breathing, hold the pressure at a comfortable rate, don't think about it, just pull it through then exhale.

The minute you over analyse breathing, you'll panic.

Comment

I thought breathing is supposed to be second nature? I don't even think of shot execution... But what I do think about is air movement between the arrow and the target (i.e. this is your shot cue when to deliver when there is less crosswind)
      "Power draws the bow; timing releases the arrow." - Sun Tzu

Comment

If I don't think about breathing, that's when I get target panic or shoot terribly. But a long breath in as I draw, then slowly let out half a breath as I aim seems to keep me focussed, and the bow steady.

Comment

I also take a breath in as I draw and then often forget about breathing while aiming and shooting. I do like to try and breath out with firing.

Comment

In my huge personal experience (Less then one year) i like using breathing control in my pre-shot sequence. I breath in during the draw until full draw, i then release half that breath as i settle. Pause for release point and release then half a breath out.

The breath for me helps cement my mind as to where im at. Its very automatic. I like the hiss of my arrow as i draw over the rest and my inward breath matches that. Sound for me helps as a trigger for my sequence as well. Be it my breath or the arrow rest either works.

Note i do shoot a compound so i have the time for this. I have no idea how this would work for a recurve or longbow or anybody else. Breath holding doesn't work well for me as i do tend to hang around a full draw a bit long in the wind. If i don't prepair for the bad times aka wind rain fog etc then they will always be bad.

Regards
            Graham
            Last edited by Graham Kissell; 28th November 2012, 12:00 AM. Reason: ugh i need to learn to proof read.
            Albert Einstein said, “One must develop an instinct for what one can just barely achieve through one’s greatest efforts.”

Comment

Originally posted by Os1k View Post
              Yeah, we all breathe.

What's this thing called forceless breathing and the theory that the heart doesn't need to beat at all (as in, the blood flows by themselves).
              I know a bit about archery, but a whole lot more about cardiorespiratory physiology. This strikes me as new age claptrap.

I learned that holding my breath is the wrong approach to it as my heart rate jumps to near panic levels.

Anyone got better ways of "oxygenation"?
              Do you mean simple breath holding, or a full-on Valsalva manoeuvre? Each has very different effects on the cardiovascular system, but neither are what we should be aiming for during archery. Inhaling during the active draw, holding the breath briefly while aiming, then passively exhaling while activating the shot is a commonly taught and effective technique, but suggesting anything can supercede the need for cardiac output is pure fancy.
              I have no problem with alcohol-free days; I have them all the time. It is the evenings I have trouble with.

Comment

Here's what I do. It was taught to me whilst in the army. And relates to any type of aiming and shooting.

Draw the bow whilst breathing in, start your aiming process. Whilst aiming you are slowly breathing out until lungs feel like they have emptied, pause the breath, then execute the shot. I use if for archery and rifle shooting. You will notice just before the shot has been executed that an empty lung is where you'll aim your best!

P.S I also qualified for marksmen in the army. This technique does work well.

Comment

I have to agree with Lopez, I was taught this in the army and was a marksman as well. It has served me well with archery and if i want my scores to be the best I can manage then a breathing cycle has to be part of my shot sequence. But like any part of the shot sequence, it has to be PART of it and not be overly or exclusively concentrated on. It should become automatic like drawing or anchoring and be practiced in the same way.
                  2 x 2012 PSE Brute X, 1 x 2013 Brute X, 1 x 2013 DNA
                  QAD Hunter, Code Red Rests, Mace custom-made Blade rest.
                  Sureloc Challenger with Titan 4x scope, Tru-Glo Extreme tool-less 5 Pin, HHA OL-5219X single pin.

Comment

I'd like to point out that rifle shooting and archery are as similar as they are different from each other. In my opinion (opinions are like assholes.....) the similar part is the follow through, and the difference in the two disciplines is breathing. In assault rifle shooting, constant light breathing is employed. For light triggers and long distance shots, the controlled breathing sequence should be employed, but still relatively light compared to a recurve shot sequence. In fact, one might even find that it is the heartbeat that causes the reticle to go up and down for a magnified scope. For recurve, I advocate breathing in generous amount of air whilst drawing, and slowly emptying the lungs while going for the click.
                    The irony of eagerly promoting indifference. Eh Scott?

Comment

I've never wilfully tried to enact a breathing 'technique', because it's a semi-autonomic process for a good reason. Your body will control your breathing for you non-cognitively, and it will probably get it right.

I always found that, without any conscious will on my part, I would inhale during the early portion of the draw, find that by the time I come to anchor I would be holding my breath (and I wouldn't be at anchor for long at all - only moments, really), and that I would exhale quite quickly following release. This felt perfectly natural.

I felt that the only part of my breathing that was controlled were those breaths taken inbetween shots. In other words, I would attempt to keep the interval between shots consistent (meaning a roughly equal amount of breathing being done between each shot, simply because an exhalation happens after each shot and there's an equal amount of time to breath before the start of the next one). If I'm going to inhale during the shot, then I wouldn't start my shot sequence half way through a breath; that would just be inconsistent.
                      Last edited by Samuel Perkins; 8th December 2012, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Morning walk is the best way for fresh breathing and a good health.Avoid fatty foods and smoking because smoking cause breathing problems.I am a smoker and i have breathing problem!

St. Pete Boot Camp
                        Last edited by plate; 26th October 2013, 11:17 PM.
                        plate

Comment

Working...
                        X