Fitness as a sideline for archery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitness as a sideline for archery

So who's doing what to stay fit for their archery as well as countless arrows shot.
    I know quality is better than qty when arrow shooting. But which is the most popular or better for overall fitness.
    Myself personally I swim once a week and jog/walk up our local castle hill four times a week as my cardio fitness was not being met with just pool laps.
    Plus 450 arrows a week.
    Staff Shooter for Chili Strings.
    Black eagle Arrows
    Deep Impact
    Fita 90 PB 1244 Happy as.

I drink coffee coke eat hot dogs pies & snag sandwich & drive every where that's my fitness work out done
    3 Prices in life
    1 The price you paid
    2 The price you told her you paid
    3 The you pay when she finds out the real price you paid

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us that who do

Comment

I cycle, do some body weight and free weight exercises, and get my back, neck, arms and shoulders massaged once a week.
      In theory, practice follows theory. In practice, theory often follows practice.

Comment

I shoot about three times a week (although in this weather I'm not shooting all that many arrows) I also row about 25km a week and do some weights every second day.
        I have no enemies but my friends dislike me intensely.

Comment

I used to do the pies/chips/junk food/no exercise.

Now it's more lean meats/rice/pasta/vegetables, plus extra protein (shake) if I've done weights. As for routine:

Weights:
          3x10 chest press
          3x10 wide grip lat pulldown (rope/bar)
          3x10 lat pulldown (narrower grip, it's a combo on the chest press machine, alternate between wide and narrow grip each day)
          3x8 bench press
          3x8 bench press (raised, don't know if that's the right gym lingo- basically you're doing it on an angle to work different muscles)
          3x10 barbell curl
          3x8 concentration curl
          3x10 seated row
          3x8 leg press
          3x8 calf raises
          3x4 dip (when you're the size I am this is goddamned hard , if I'm doing them assisted I do 3x10)

I usually do weights at about 70ish% of my peak/1rm. Eventually strength builds enough to do a fourth set, once the fourth set becomes easy I up the weight. Pretty simple stuff.

If I have the time or I don't feel like doing weights I try fit in half an hour or so of cardio (before any hardcore gym guys tell me I'm going to lose my gains, I'm doing pretty high intensity cardio so I won't get much muscle loss, plus I'm gonna look a goddamned lot better with muscle minus the fat than I would with lots of muscle in addition to the fat).

Usually try for 5-6 times a week. It's fairly intense so I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but I feel good, lost a lot of weight, and have put on a lot of muscle. Still a long way to go though

Comment

I do cycling the best way i would tell.
            Sporting goods | Australian sports goods

Comment

Originally posted by Elwood View Post

Usually try for 5-6 times a week. It's fairly intense so I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but I feel good, lost a lot of weight, and have put on a lot of muscle. Still a long way to go though
              wouldnt recommend the training quantity or the training itself? (because id say encourage something thats intense, means youre getting better results, within reason)

Comment

I'm yet to see evidence that fitness training improves archery over normal archery practice. It's a theory that it does, but that's all.
                Urban Archery
                Carbon Express
                Beiter
                Truball/Axcel
                Redback Strings

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water
                After enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water

Comment

Originally posted by Elwood View Post
                  I used to do the pies/chips/junk food/no exercise.

Now it's more lean meats/rice/pasta/vegetables, plus extra protein (shake) if I've done weights. As for routine:

Weights:
                  3x10 chest press
                  3x10 wide grip lat pulldown (rope/bar)
                  3x10 lat pulldown (narrower grip, it's a combo on the chest press machine, alternate between wide and narrow grip each day)
                  3x8 bench press
                  3x8 bench press (raised, don't know if that's the right gym lingo- basically you're doing it on an angle to work different muscles)
                  3x10 barbell curl
                  3x8 concentration curl
                  3x10 seated row
                  3x8 leg press
                  3x8 calf raises
                  3x4 dip (when you're the size I am this is goddamned hard , if I'm doing them assisted I do 3x10)

I usually do weights at about 70ish% of my peak/1rm. Eventually strength builds enough to do a fourth set, once the fourth set becomes easy I up the weight. Pretty simple stuff.

If I have the time or I don't feel like doing weights I try fit in half an hour or so of cardio (before any hardcore gym guys tell me I'm going to lose my gains, I'm doing pretty high intensity cardio so I won't get much muscle loss, plus I'm gonna look a goddamned lot better with muscle minus the fat than I would with lots of muscle in addition to the fat).

Elwood,

Sounds like you do a similar gym routine to me. I do whats called "super sets". A super Set is where you complete three different exercises focusing on the same or similar muscle group and three concentrating on the reverse. i.e exercises concentrating on my biceps then triceps, abdomen/lower back, chest/shoulder and lats. etc.

Also I play hockey.

Comment

I'm in the fitness protection program.
                    Status is not defined by the amount of gear in your signature.
                    Performance cannot be purchased.

"The Internet offers everything - except quality control" - K. Anders Ericsson.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
                      I'm yet to see evidence that fitness training improves archery over normal archery practice. It's a theory that it does, but that's all.
                      It's working for me so far. I've lost 6kg and gained a lot of fitness in the past three months, and it's really helped me to feel more stable at full draw and last longer in a full day of shooting. Eating clean and drinking 3L of water daily also helps with stability for me. In fact, I'm completely amazed by the difference it makes.

Comment

It could also be a side effect of shooting lots too. You are pretty new to the sport so you will
                        Improve for a while. If you had been shooting for 10 years it would be a different test.

But keep it going, good fitness is worth it for far more than archery.
                        Urban Archery
                        Carbon Express
                        Beiter
                        Truball/Axcel
                        Redback Strings

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water
                        After enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water

Comment

Run, lift, shoot !

Major League Bowhunter Field Staff
                          Bear Archery Pro Staff
                          Under Armour Field Staff

Comment

I think it's a major part of archery and for people attaining their goals at any level of archery
                            You don't need to do that much which is the crazy thing, 3 times a week for 45 mins to 1 hour, go for a walk and get the heart rate up one day, light warm up and weights with stretching the other days. There is no doubt in my mind that it will help anyone at any fitness level and shooting level.
                            For a recurve archer, keeping the flexibility and strength through the shoulders, back and core is key to being half decent I think.
                            Happy to be proven wrong.

Comment

as a compound archer, time shoot more arrows would improve my performance.

a max 60lb bow is not a challenge to physical capabilities for most adults, nor is cardio, core strength etc.
                              sigpic
                              Viper Strings

Comment

Working...
                              X