"Why can't a woman be like a man?"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Why can't a woman be like a man?"

Pygmalion, I think? I was watching our Women's State and National Champion at the Southern Clout Comp yesterday doing a magnificent job of murdering the clout, and it made me wonder why with compound women are allowed to shoot a shorter distance than men. Our young lady could compete with the men easily. Compound technology would remove any perceived physical disadvantage, not that there's necessarily any in archery?
    Last edited by blakec; 9th August 2015, 08:10 PM.
    "Courtesy is free; it just requires making the effort not to be rude."

They can and do compete against the men. We often mix sexes for club shoots etc with our club's best archer being a women.
    A few years ago at the Vic state short range the top score was a women.
    However I also can see if you are gonna separate divisions based on the curve of the limbs you may as well do on sex as well.
    Urban Archery
    Carbon Express
    Beiter
    Truball/Axcel
    Redback Strings

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water
    After enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water

Comment

Have been running a team postal shoot for the District over the last few winters. The rules require an "alternate" in each team - being a woman, junior, over 65 or barber/longbow. More often than not, the woman or junior in the top team would make the team on score anyway.

I think FITA (as it was) a while ago floated the idea of creating classes by "bow energy" bands (poundage x draw length) that would include men & women in the same class, but would recognise that someone shooting 35lb x 23in would be at some disadvantage compared to 60lb x 29in.

Watching the W-Cup / W-Champs mixed team shoots, the women are certainly not dragging the chain.

Two opposing negatives of an "open" division - fragile male egos or women missing out on recognition/placings by being in the "crowd" ?

Chris
      "I used to read, but it's faster to make up stuff" - Wally (Dilbert)

Comment

Women can't be like men because some men get all butthurt when the implication gets turned around the other way and a woman beats them in competition.

I have a female friend who is a boxer of reasonable ability. She can't get enough fights with girls and when she steps into the ring with a guy, she said that they really try to hurt her.
        Most will not even attempt to do so because they know what would happen if she beats them.

I don't have an issue with being beaten by better female archers as it happens constantly due to who I regularly shoot with.

Guys with limited methods of justifying their masculinity to themselves will always feel threatened by competing with women.

If you want to find who these men are, just throw everyone in together for any competition of any type.
        See who gets upset and how badly when they get beaten by a girl.
        Pay them out for it and they over react.

Bingo. You've hit the jackpot.

So, organisations cater for avoiding this by giving everyone a chance to win by a more ego safe category.
        Status is not defined by the amount of gear in your signature.
        Performance cannot be purchased.

"The Internet offers everything - except quality control" - K. Anders Ericsson.

Comment

ABA at some levels don't use sex as a defining basis but instead use score based grades, which is EXACTLY how we should go if we want our shooters to develop into better archers.
          Urban Archery
          Carbon Express
          Beiter
          Truball/Axcel
          Redback Strings

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water
          After enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water

Comment

I regularly encourage mixed ages/bows/sexes at our club. Makes for a more social sport and encourages everyone to put in that bit extra. Lost count of the number of Mars bars over the years I've had to fork out for being thrashed
            Staff Shooter for Chili Strings.
            Black eagle Arrows
            Deep Impact
            Fita 90 PB 1244 Happy as.

Comment

Working...
            X