X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law in relation to shooting in Public

Hi Guys,
    Leongatha Medieval Society shoots once a month in a public park with local shire permission and we run the day very stictly so it seems we are OK with the law at this stage.
    Len

The key point is the weapon part. It only becomes a weapon rather than sporting equipment when you have the intent to use it as a weapon. A garden rake becomes a weapon the moment you decide you want to use it as one. Until then (in NZ at least), a bow is not a weapon in the legal sense. A firearm is basically the only thing that is always a weapon, from a legal standpoint.
    Bowtech Pro 38..target red
    Copper John ANTS 3D Evo2..Specialty Super D 4x
    Carter Chocolate Addiction

Comment

Section 56-59 of the weapons act does specify a bow as a weapon in regard to carrying/using in an unauthorized place. Including in public.

Section 57 forbids the carrying, without reasonable excuse, a weapon in public view. Maximum sentence, 6 months imprisonment. It also forbids the use of a weapon to shoot through, into or over a public place. Max sentence, I believe, is 4 years imprisonment.

Comment

Is it true that u can shoot a Bow in your backyard ??
        www.shaftedsafarisaustralia.com
        Mathews Chill
        Carbon Matrix

Strother SR71
        GT Pro Hunter

Comment

you can, as long as you are prepared to deal with the consequences of something going wrong.
          Last edited by scott p; 13th June 2012, 01:58 PM. Reason: typo
          sigpic
          Viper Strings

Comment

Originally posted by scott p View Post
            you can, as long as you are prepared to deal with the consequences if something going wrong.
            As this guy is about to have to do.
            Et iurisperitus est iuvenis sagittarius

Comment

Originally posted by markjam51 View Post
              As this guy is about to have to do.
              Yes exactly.

But what concerns me, is that this guy bought the bow from Parklea markets. People are buying bows from sources such as this, and on line receiving NO instruction. I would be happy if bows could only be sold from licensed dealers, (As for firearms) who would encourage the purchaser to join a club, so as to get some instruction.

I didn't quite hear the whole story this morning. But on the Newcastle radio station was a report of someone shooting arrows at a house. These sort of incidents can only encourage governments , like the cash strapped NSW government, to bring in licensing. This would affect us genuine sport shooters.

Pat

Comment

This is the story I was talking about.

Not helping us at all. ;-(

Pat

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/loc...e/2588783.aspx

Comment

Crazy.
                  www.shaftedsafarisaustralia.com
                  Mathews Chill
                  Carbon Matrix

Strother SR71
                  GT Pro Hunter

Comment

He was charged and brought into Toronto Court yesterday. So far it's only a malicious damage to property charge. But I'm sure some others will be tacked on in the coming weeks.

Comment

Adelaide Archery Club is a large club with established grounds situated in beautiful city parklands that are leased from City of Adelaide Council for yonks without mishap, alongside various other sports activities all about. Certainly we have regulations regarding safety flags etc, but so should any club.
                      Style before fashion

Comment

i didn't think a compound bow is counted as a weapon but classified as a sporting device (eg). like for example a javalin could be accounted as a weapon but it isn't classified as a weapon. could be wrong though.
                        and when they charge you, it would probably go under the misuse of a sporting device or something like that isn't it

Comment

Originally posted by Markaus View Post
                          i didn't think a compound bow is counted as a weapon but classified as a sporting device (eg). like for example a javalin could be accounted as a weapon but it isn't classified as a weapon. could be wrong though.
                          and when they charge you, it would probably go under the misuse of a sporting device or something like that isn't it
                          It depends on the State that you are in...I would advise you learn your state regulations, as "I though" or "I didnt think" WILL NOT stand up in court.

The following are taken from the current QLD weapons act....

Discharge of weapon on private land without owner’s consent prohibited
                          (1) In this section — owner of private land includes the occupier of the land. Private land means land that is not a public place.
                          Weapon includes an antique firearm, spear gun, longbow and slingshot.

(2) A person must not, without reasonable excuse, discharge a weapon on or across private land without the express consent
                          of the owner. Maximum penalty—40 penalty units or 6 months imprisonment.

(3) A person must not carry a weapon on private land without the express consent of the owner unless—
                          (a) the person has a reasonable excuse; or
                          (b) the weapon is unloaded, broken or for another reason can not be readily discharged.
                          Maximum penalty—40 penalty units.

Part 4 Possession and use of weapons
                          Particular conduct involving a weapon in a public place prohibited
                          (1) In this section—weapon includes
                          (a) an antique firearm, spear gun, longbow or sword; and
                          (b) a replica of a weapon; and
                          (c) a replica of a thing mentioned in paragraph (a); and
                          (d) a slingshot or shanghai.

(2) A person must not, without reasonable excuse, carry a weapon
                          exposed to view in a public place.
                          Maximum penalty—40 penalty units or 6 months imprisonment.

(3) A person must not, without reasonable excuse, carry in a public place a loaded firearm or a weapon capable of being
                          discharged.
                          Maximum penalty—120 penalty units or 2 years imprisonment.

(4) A person must not, without reasonable excuse, discharge a weapon in, into, towards, over or through a public place.
                          Maximum penalty—200 penalty units or 4 years imprisonment.

I know it says longbow, but I have received confirmation that the term "longbow" includes ALL bows.

So can you shoot in your backyard in QLD. Yes, but there are a few rules to clear first. Then you are always at risk of something going wrong. Its one of those yes, you can do it, but I would strongly recommend against it.

There are a stack of other laws in QLD that a bow is defined as a weapon too. But to buy, ship/freight or carry on a plane, they are sporting equipment.
                          Last edited by loomis; 15th June 2012, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Markaus View Post
                            I'd suggest that you find whoever gave you that information and try and beat them to death with a golf club. You'll accomplish two things.
                            They won't give out stupid information again and you'll demonstrate to them that "misuse of a sporting device" doesn't exist.
                            Status is not defined by the amount of gear in your signature.
                            Performance cannot be purchased.

"The Internet offers everything - except quality control" - K. Anders Ericsson.

Comment

Originally posted by loomis View Post
                              ... Weapon includes an antique firearm, spear gun, longbow and slingshot.

Part 4 Possession and use of weapons
                              Particular conduct involving a weapon in a public place prohibited
                              (1) In this section—weapon includes

I know it says longbow, but I have received confirmation that the term "longbow" includes ALL bows.
                              It's an open definition - the use of the word "includes" means in plain language "examples of which are". Anything that in common usage is called a weapon is just that for the purposes of the act.

There is a dictionary at the end of the act to define terms:

"weapon”

(a) means

(i) a firearm; or
                              (ii) another thing prescribed under a regulation to be a weapon or within a category of weapon; or
                              (iii) a thing that would be a weapon mentioned in subparagraph (i) or (ii), if it were not temporarily inoperable or incomplete; and

(b) does not include a public monument.

Crossbows fall within (ii). How gratifying is (b) - the local statue of Queen Victoria is not a weapon. Probably intended to over old mortars and canons in parks.

Comment

Working...
                              X