Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Target Scopes... how clear should they be?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Target Scopes... how clear should they be?

I know that might sound like a silly question... but...

I recently bought a Mybo Balckhawk with an 8x lens. I expected shorter distances to be washed out. Except to get any clarity at 50m I've had to bring the lens all the way to the riser. As I understand it the further the scope and pin is from the peep the better chance of accuracy. The closer the scope to the peep the more chance of a little elbow wiggle and less accuracy.

I also thought the whole idea of a scope is to make the target closer and clear. Not to make it so blurry that you can't tell what you're shooting at. Like, a scope is supposed to help, right?

Have just got a bad lens?

Well if it was that simple we would all run our sights on a massive long rod. However a 6" extension bar is by far the most common size.
    It's all about compromise.
    As you go up in magnification your sights get more blurry and the picture wobbles around more.
    So you have to find a size that works for your brain. Personally a 8x is a disaster for me. I run a 4x lens. (have used 5x and 6x for long periods too)
    If you use a clarifier to clear the target you make your pin and bubble blurry. So you have to choose what you prefer. Some prefer a clear target, some prefer a blurry target.

So it's not as simple as "Bigger target = Better" otherwise they would make them 20x.

4x to 6x is by far the most common. 8x isn't a size I would recommend unless you are REALLY steady and have good shot execution control.
    Urban Archery
    Carbon Express
    Beiter
    Truball/Axcel
    Redback Strings

Before enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water
    After enlightenment: Chop wood, carry water

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
      If you use a clarifier to clear the target you make your pin and bubble blurry. So you have to choose what you prefer. Some prefer a clear target, some prefer a blurry target.
      I definitely come down on the preference of clear target, bubble and 'pin' aren't the things being aimed at but looked through, so being able to focus on the endpoint is more comfortable. so, yeah, clarifier.

Peep size becomes an issue too. Old peep was 3/64" + clarifier, using Decut Rainbow 6x.

The Blackhawk has a wider body. So the 3/64" is too small to see the outside ring on back of scope. Therefore 1/8" + clarifier. That means more light to the eye, but in the past I found 1/8" to be too big to keep the image centered. except it fits the new scope so that's not the issue I expected it to be.

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
      8x isn't a size I would recommend unless you are REALLY steady and have good shot execution control.
      Slowly coming to the same conclusion. But that is the beauty of the scientific method. Experimentation will eventually provide the optimal result. Like every archer my shot execution is bulletproof and I'm steady as a rock... then I pick up my bow and walk to the line.

Comment

Working...
      X